2013 California Building Standards Code Development and Adoption Project (2012 Triennial Code Adoption Cycle)
The State Housing Law Program within the Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) develops new building standards, which are submitted to the California Building Standards Commission (CBSC) as part of the 2012 Triennial Code Adoption Cycle.
The State Housing Law Program develops statewide building standards for new construction of hotels, motels, lodging houses, apartments, dwellings and buildings accessory thereto. The State Housing Law Program also develops building standards necessary to provide accessibility in the design and construction of all housing other than publicly funded or transient housing. The building standards are published in the California Code of Regulations, Title 24, known as the California Building Standards Code.
Stakeholder input and participation is necessary to assist HCD in developing building standards, which will continue to assure the availability of affordable housing and uniform statewide code enforcement; to protect the health, safety, and general welfare of the public and occupants of housing and buildings accessory thereto. Here you will find the project information, reports, resources and ways to get involved in the process and assist HCD in this project.
Development of Proposed Building Standards
- Part 2 California Building Code (2012 IBC)
- Part 2.5 California Residential Code (2012 IRC)
- Part 3 California Electrical Code (2011 NEC)
- Part 4 California Mechanical Code (2012 UMC)
- Part 5 California Plumbing Code (2012 UPC)
- Part 10 California Existing Building Code (2012 IEBC)
- Part 11 California Green Building Standards Code (CALGreen)
Links to Other State Agencies Building Standards Process
- California Building Standards Commission (CBSC)
- Office of the State Fire Marshal (SFM)
- Division of the State Architect (DSA) Meeting Notices and Agendas
- Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD)
- California Energy Commission (CEC)