Multifamily Housing Program (MHP)
- Assistance Type and Terms
- Eligible Activities and Applicants
- Guidelines and Regulations
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Previous Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs)
- Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
- Program Forms — Including loan closing documents
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
Assist the new construction, rehabilitation and preservation of permanent and transitional rental housing for lower income households.
Senate Bill 3 (Chapter 365, Statues 2017) authorized the Veterans and Affordable Housing Bond Act of 2018 (Proposition 1). This measure was adopted by voters on November 6, 2018. It authorizes the issuance of bonds in the amount of $1.5 billion for the Multifamily Housing Program (MHP). California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) has developed draft MHP guidelines and is seeking feedback from stakeholders and interested parties.
Deferred payment loans with a 55-year term; 3 percent simple interest on unpaid principal balance, except under certain conditions. Payments at 0.42 percent are due annually with the balance of principal and interest due and payable upon completion of loan term.
New construction, rehabilitation, or acquisition and rehabilitation of permanent or transitional rental housing, and the conversion of nonresidential structures to rental housing. Projects are not eligible if construction has commenced as of the application date, or if they are receiving 9 percent federal low-income housing tax credits.
MHP funds will be provided for post-construction permanent financing only. Eligible costs include the cost of child care, after-school care, and social service facilities integrally linked to the assisted housing units; real property acquisition; refinancing to retain affordable rents; necessary on-site and off-site improvements; reasonable fees and consulting costs; and capitalized reserves.
Local public entities, for-profit and nonprofit corporations, limited equity housing cooperatives, individuals, Indian reservations and Rancherias, and limited partnerships in which an eligible applicant or an affiliate of an applicant is a general partner. Applicants or their principals must have successfully developed at least one affordable housing project.
Guidelines and Regulations
HCD is accepting public comments on the proposed guidelines from January 11, 2019 until February 11, 2019. Please submit your comments to MHP@hcd.ca.gov and indicate the specific guidelines section associated with each comment.
- 2018 MHP Draft Guidelines (PDF)
- 2005 MHP Regulations (PDF) — Applicable to 2013 and 2015 NOFAs. Not applicable to Proposition 1 funding.
- Uniform Multifamily Regulations (UMRs)
Draft Guidelines Workshops and Webinar
|Location||Date and Time|
2020 West El Camino Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95833
January 18, 2019
8:30am - 12:00pm
Ronald Reagan Building
300 South Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013
January 24, 2019
8:30am - 12:00pm
CA Department of General Services
1515 Clay Street
Oakland, CA 94612
January 29, 2019
8:30am - 12:00pm
8445 W Elowin Ct (boardroom)
Visalia, CA 93291
NOTE: Parking is on the east side of the building along with the main entrance.
January 31, 2019
8:30am - 12:00pm
February 5, 2019
12:30pm - 4:30pm
Applications are invited through the issuance of Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs).
HCD’s goal is to issue an MHP NOFA in early April, 2019, under new guidelines, with application due in June 2019. Please be sure you are subscribed to the MHP emailing list to receive notifications and announcements.
2015 NOFA (06/05/2015)
- 2015 NOFA (PDF) — 06/05/2015
- 2015 NOFA Amendment #1 (PDF)
- 2005 MHP Regulations (PDF) — Applicable to 2015 NOFA. Not applicable to Proposition 1 funding.
- 2015 NOFA Workshop (PPT)
- 2015 Income Limits (PDF)
2013 NOFA (02/07/2013)
Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
Upon completed construction of your project and closing of your HCD permanent loan, oversight of your project and loan is transferred to HCD’s “Asset Management and Compliance (AMC)” section.
Visit Asset Management and Compliance to find:
- Your reporting requirements
- Additional resources
- Who to contact is you have questions
There are currently no general forms for the MHP program on the website at this time.
MHP Specific Documents
NOTE: These documents may be revised for Proposition 1 funding.
- Deed of Trust (DOC)
- Promissory Note (DOC)
- Promissory Note Secured by Deed of Trust (DOC)
- Regulatory Agreement (DOC)
- Senior Subordination Agreement (DOC)
- Junior Subordination Agreement (DOC)
Documents Applicable to all NOFAs
- Architect's Completion Certificate (New Construction) (DOC)
- Architect's Completion Certificate (Rehabilitation) (DOC)
- Article XXXIV Guidelines (PDF)
- Bond Financing Term Sheet (DOC)
- Certificate of Completion (DOC)
- Closing Checklist (XLS)
- Cost Cert and Financial Reporting Requirements (DOC)
- Cost Cert Sample Form (XLS)
- Designated Payee Authorization Letter (DOC)
- Insurance Guidelines Checklist (DOC)
- Interest Rate Resets or Bond Remarketing Requirements (Management Memo 07-01) (DOC)
- Lease Rider Estoppel (DOC)
- Loan Closing Requirements (Management Memo 05-2) (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Form 4327 (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Guidelines (PDF)
- Physical Needs Assessment and Replacement Reserve Study Guidelines (PDF)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance (Management Memo 02-1) (DOC)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance Cerificate (DOC)
- Project Construction Sign Requirements (DOC)
- Project Funding Sources (Construction) (XLS)
- Project Funding Sources (Permanent) (XLS)
- Relocation Plan Implementation Certificate (DOC)
- Request For Funds Form (DOC)
- Utility Allowance Determination (DOC)
- Sponsor Operating Guarantee (DOC) or (PDF)
There are currently no MHP Management Memos on the website at this time.
Training and Technical Assistance
There are currently no MHP Training and Technical resources on the website at this time.