The following site is being developed to provide resources and tools helpful in addressing "Not in My Back Yard" (NIMBY) concerns about housing and especially affordable and/or high density housing
The Department in association with the Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (NPH) and the California Affordable Housing Law Project, have provided the following publications as resources for addressing NIMBY and similar barriers.
These documents require the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Additional resources and tools will be added including links to other relevant sites.
NEW: From NIMBY to YIMBY — (Adobe PDF)
- "Myths & Facts About Affordable and High Density Housing"
- Examples of Materials and Outreach Strategies used in Housing Education Campaigns — (Adobe PDF)
- How to Organize Successful Affordable Housing Tours — (Adobe PDF)
- How to Create a Cable TV Show about Affordable Housing — (Adobe PDF)
- Education/Advocacy Campaigns on Affordable Housing in the Bay Area — (Adobe PDF)
- Six Steps to Getting Local Government Approvals — (Adobe PDF)
- Speakers Bureau Do's and Don'ts — (Adobe PDF)
- What Works in Affordable Housing Elements — (Adobe PDF)
- Who Needs Affordable Housing? What is "Low Income" and "Very Low Income"? — (Adobe PDF)
- A Place to Call Home: Addressing Opposition to Homes for People with Mental Illness in Tennessee Neighborhoods — Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Office of Housing Planning and Development and Tennessee Fair Housing Council, Third Edition, Summer 2003 — (Adobe PDF)
- A Review of Existing Research on the Effects of Federally Assisted Housing Programs on Neighboring Residential Property Values — Report to the National Association of Realtors, George C. Galster (September 2002) — (Adobe PDF)
- Action Suggestions for Local Government Officials to Support Contemporary Affordable Housing — Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (1999) — (Adobe PDF)
- Addressing Community Opposition to Affordable Housing Development A Fair Housing Toolkit — The Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania (2004)
- Affordable Housing Tool Kit: How to Become an Advocate for Affordable Housing — Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver (2003)
- Anti-Nimby Tools — California Housing Law Project (2003) — (Adobe PDF)
- Can I Be Your Neighbor? — 2004 Affordable Housing Poster Campaign, City of Fort Collins, Colorado
- Housing, Homelessness and Poverty Fact Sheet — Sacramento Housing Alliance (2009) — (Adobe PDF)
- Community Participation Strategies — Section 2 of Blueprint 2001 for Bay Area Housing: Housing Element Ideas and Solutions for a Sustainable and Affordable Future — (Adobe PDF)
- Dealing with Fearful Opponents of Housing and Service Developments — Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (1999) — (Adobe PDF)
- Effects of Mixed-Income, Multi-Family Rental Housing Developments on Single-Family Housing Values — Henry O. Pollakowski, David Ritchay & Zoe Weinrobe, MIT Center for Real Estate (April 2005)
- Housing Advocacy Catalog — Campaign for Affordable Housing. — (Adobe PDF)
- How to Create a Cable TV Show About Affordable Housing — Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (1999)
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit Housing Developments and Property Values — Richard K. Green, Stephen Malpezzi & Kiat-Ying Seah, The Center for Urban Land Economics Research, University of Wisconsin (June 14, 2002) — (Adobe PDF)
- Parking Requirements Guide For Affordable Housing Developers — Southern California Association of Non-Profit Housing (2004) — (Adobe PDF)
- Siting of Homeless Housing and Services: Best Practices for Community Acceptance — Community Acceptance Strategies Consortium, Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (October 2000) — (Adobe PDF)
- Six Steps to Getting Local Government Approvals — Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (1999) — (Adobe PDF)
- What Works in Affordable Housing Education? — Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (1999) — (Adobe PDF)
- 2012 Advocates’ Guide to Housing and Community Development Policy — National Low Income Housing Coalition.
Websites & Documents on Affordable Housing & Relationship to Property Values — (Adobe PDF)
The document is a compilation of electronic links to websites and web documents on affordable housing and property values issues. This NIMBY resource bibliography is an on-going HPD project and it will be updated with new resources soon.