Jobs at HCD
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity is built into the very fabric of our culture and has connections to our core values. The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) values diversity at all levels of the department and is committed to fostering an environment in which employees from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. It is our belief that the diversity of our employees and their unique ideas inspire innovative solutions to complex housing challenges.
HCD has a three-tiered approach to ensure a diverse and inclusive environment:
- Workforce — We recruit and retain a high-performance team inclusive of our state's rich diversity.
- Workplace — We cultivate a workplace culture that values the qualities a diverse workforce brings to the organization by actively educating our leadership and staff to increase diverse and inclusive awareness, understanding, and skills that lead to greater quality, respect, and accountability.
- Marketplace — We serve our members with sensitivity to their diverse perspectives.
New to State Service?
Start here – Build your profile, search, assess, then apply!
HCD Open Job Announcements — Alphabetical listing of job vacancies for individuals who have civil service list eligibility, transferable classifications (positions), or have reinstatement rights.
Most positions require that you to complete an assessment before you apply for a position. The assessment will evaluate your education, experience, abilities, and knowledge. The assessment can take many forms, including an interview or exam, depending on the job.
Please Note: Taking the assessment in advance is encouraged and will help streamline your application process. You do not have to wait for a job opening to take any of the following assessments/examinations.
As you review HCD's open job announcements , carefully read the job bulletins to see the qualifications and necessary documents needed. Each job bulletin will also explain what the job is like, note the salary range, and give you an overview of the assessment process.
Open Examinations/Continuous Filing — No Final Filing Date
- District Representative I, Division of Codes & Standards & Non-Peace Officer, Non-Promotional Examination (PDF)
- District Representative II, Division of Codes & Standards & Non-Peace Officer, Non-Promotional Examination (PDF)
- Housing and Community Development Specialist I (PDF)
- Housing and Community Development Specialist II (PDF)
- Housing and Community Development Representative I
- Housing and Community Development Representative II
- Codes and Standards Administrator I, Non-Peace Officer (PDF)
- Codes and Standards Administrator II, Non-Peace Officer (PDF)
- Codes and Standards Administrator III, Non-Peace Officer (PDF)
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) is committed to providing equal access to employment and a discrimination-free work environment as required by federal and state laws. HCD’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office is available to assist HCD employees or individuals who have applied for a job vacancy (applicant) at HCD. The following form may be used by HCD employees or job applicants applying for a position within HCD to initiate a complaint of discrimination within HCD:
If you have questions or comments, please contact the EEO Office at EEO-Office@hcd.ca.gov or (916) 263-3635.