Multifamily Housing Program (MHP)
- Assistance Type and Terms
- Eligible Activities and Applicants
- Guidelines and Regulations
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Previous Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs)
- Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
- Program Forms — Including loan closing documents
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
Assist the new construction, rehabilitation and preservation of permanent and transitional rental housing for lower income households.
Senate Bill 3 (Chapter 365, Statues 2017) authorized the Veterans and Affordable Housing Bond Act of 2018 (Proposition 1). This measure was adopted by voters on November 6, 2018. It authorizes the issuance of bonds in the amount of $1.5 billion for the Multifamily Housing Program (MHP). California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) has developed draft MHP guidelines and is seeking feedback from stakeholders and interested parties.
Deferred payment loans with a 55-year term; 3 percent simple interest on unpaid principal balance, except under certain conditions. Payments at 0.42 percent are due annually with the balance of principal and interest due and payable upon completion of loan term.
New construction, rehabilitation, or acquisition and rehabilitation of permanent or transitional rental housing, and the conversion of nonresidential structures to rental housing. Projects are not eligible if construction has commenced as of the application date, or if they are receiving 9 percent federal low-income housing tax credits.
MHP funds will be provided for post-construction permanent financing only. Eligible costs include the cost of child care, after-school care, and social service facilities integrally linked to the assisted housing units; real property acquisition; refinancing to retain affordable rents; necessary on-site and off-site improvements; reasonable fees and consulting costs; and capitalized reserves.
Local public entities, for-profit and nonprofit corporations, limited equity housing cooperatives, individuals, Indian reservations and Rancherias, and limited partnerships in which an eligible applicant or an affiliate of an applicant is a general partner. Applicants or their principals must have successfully developed at least one affordable housing project.
Guidelines and Regulations
- 2019 Round 1 MHP Final Guidelines (PDF) - Revised 7/16/19
- 2019 Round 1 MHP Final Guidelines – Tracked changes (PDF)
- Revisions to 2019 Round 1 MHP Final Guidelines (PDF) — Made after receipt of public comments.
- Summary of Comments and Responses (PDF)
- 2005 MHP Regulations (PDF) — Applicable to 2013 and 2015 NOFAs. Not applicable to Proposition 1 funding.
- Uniform Multifamily Regulations (UMRs)
Applications are invited through the issuance of Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs).
- New! January 2020 MHP NOFA (PDF)
- New! MHP Universal Application (XLS)
- New! Sources and Uses Template (XLS)
- New! MHP Supplemental Application (XLS)
- New! January 2020 MHP Resolution Template – LLC (DOC)
- New! January 2020 MHP Resolution Template – Sponsor (DOC)
- New! January 2020 MHP Loan Authorization Template – Borrower (DOC)
- New! January 2020 MHP Loan Authorization Template – Sponsor (DOC)
- Government Agency TIN Form
- STD 204 Payee Data Record (PDF)
- New! January 2020 Questions & Answers (PDF)
January 22, 2020
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
HCD - 402 A&B
2020 West El Camino Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95833
January 23, 2020
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
City of Oakland Hearing Rm 3
150 Frank Ogawa Plz, Ste. 4340, Oakland, CA 94612
January 28, 2020
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
City Hall City Council Chambers
3900 Main Street Riverside, CA 92522
January 29, 2020
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
City Council Chambers
22 Civic Center Plaza (M-26)
Santa Ana, CA 92701
January 30, 2020
9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Point Loma Library Marla Haas Comm Rm
3701 Voltaire St
San Diego, CA 92107
2019 Round 1 NOFA
- Amended MHP NOFA (PDF) - Revised 08/01/2019
- MHP Universal Application (XLS)
- Supplemental Application (XLS) - Revised 08/08/2019
- Resolution Template (PDF)
- Loan Authorization Template (PDF)
- Resolution of LLC (PDF)
- Sponsor Recipient Authorization for Loan (PDF)
- 2019 MHP Workshop Presentation Slides (PDF)
- 2019 MHP NOFA Workshop FAQ’s (PDF)
2015 NOFA (06/05/2015)
- 2015 NOFA (PDF) — 06/05/2015
- 2015 NOFA Amendment #1 (PDF)
- 2005 MHP Regulations (PDF) — Applicable to 2015 NOFA. Not applicable to Proposition 1 funding.
- 2015 NOFA Workshop (PPT)
- 2015 Income Limits (PDF)
2013 NOFA (02/07/2013)
Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
Upon completed construction of your project and closing of your HCD permanent loan, oversight of your project and loan is transferred to HCD’s “Asset Management and Compliance (AMC)” section.
Visit Asset Management and Compliance to find:
- Your reporting requirements
- Additional resources
- Who to contact is you have questions
There are currently no general forms for the MHP program on the website at this time.
NOTE: View sample documents use and liability disclaimer on our Condition of Use page.
MHP Specific Documents
NOTE: These documents may be revised for Proposition 1 funding.
- MHP Deed of Trust (1C6) (DOC)
- MHP Deed of Trust (1C6) Fee and Lease (DOC)
- MHP Deed of Trust (1C7) (DOC)
- MHP Deed of Trust (1C7) Fee and Lease (DOC)
- MHP Deed of Trust (2015 Gen Fund) (DOC)
- MHP Deed of Trust (2015 Gen Fund) Fee and Lease (DOC)
- MHP Promissory Note (1C6) (DOC)
- MHP Promissory Note (1C7) (DOC)
- MHP Promissory Note (2015 Gen Fund) (DOC)
- MHP Regulatory Agreement (1C6) (DOC)
- MHP Regulatory Agreement (1C6 2017UMR) (DOC)
- MHP Regulatory Agreement (1C7) (DOC)
- MHP Regulatory Agreement (1C7 2017UMR) (DOC)
- MHP Regulatory Agreement (2015 Gen Fund) (DOC)
- MHP Regulatory Agreement Gen Fund (2017UMR) (DOC)
- Promissory Note Secured by Deed of Trust (DOC)
- Senior Subordination Agreement (DOC)
- Junior Subordination Agreement (DOC)
Documents Applicable to all NOFAs
- Architect's Completion Certificate (New Construction) (DOC)
- Architect's Completion Certificate (Rehabilitation) (DOC)
- Article XXXIV Guidelines (PDF)
- Bond Financing Term Sheet (DOC)
- Certificate of Completion (DOC)
- Closing Checklist (XLS)
- Cost Cert and Financial Reporting Requirements (DOC)
- Cost Cert Sample Form (XLS)
- Designated Payee Authorization Letter (DOC)
- Insurance Guidelines Checklist (DOC)
- New! Interest Rate Reduction Application Certification (PDF)
- New! Interest Rate Reduction Sponsor Process (PDF)
- Interest Rate Resets or Bond Remarketing Requirements (Management Memo 07-01) (DOC)
- Lease Rider Estoppel (DOC)
- Loan Closing Requirements (Management Memo 05-2) (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Form 4327 (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Guidelines (PDF)
- Physical Needs Assessment and Replacement Reserve Study Guidelines (PDF)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance (Management Memo 02-1) (DOC)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance Cerificate (DOC)
- Project Construction Sign Requirements (DOC)
- Project Funding Sources (Construction) (XLS)
- Project Funding Sources (Permanent) (XLS)
- Relocation Plan Implementation Certificate (DOC)
- Request For Funds Form (DOC)
- Utility Allowance Determination (DOC)
- Sponsor Operating Guarantee (DOC) or (PDF)
There are currently no MHP Management Memos on the website at this time.
Training and Technical Assistance
There are currently no MHP Training and Technical resources on the website at this time.