Prohousing Designation Program
The Prohousing Designation Program provides incentives to cities and counties in the form of additional points or other preference in the scoring of competitive housing, community development, and infrastructure programs.
Increasing the availability of housing statewide is critical to bettering the quality of life of all Californians and to ending homelessness. The 2019-2020 Budget Act provided a spectrum of support, incentives, and accountability measures to meet California’s housing goals, and provided for the establishment of the Prohousing Designation Program.
The Department is in the process of a regular rulemaking process, which will convert the emergency regulations that first established the Prohousing Designation Program, in effect making the Program permanent. Emergency regulations will remain in effect through the regular rulemaking process.
Sign up to receive a weekly listing of Prohousing Designation applications received by HCD by clicking this link HCD Email Signup and selecting the box labeled “Housing Planning and Policy”.
- Notice of 15-Day Comment Period for Proposed Modified Text (PDF)
- Proposed Modified Text for 15-Day Public Comment Period (PDF)
- Addendum to Initial Statement of Reasons (ISOR) (PDF)
- Document Incorporated into Proposed Modified Text (PDF)
- Notice of Proposed Action (NOPA) (PDF)
- Initial Statement of Reasons (ISOR) (PDF)
- Text (PDF)
- Document incorporated into Regulation definition of 'Wetlands' (PDF)
- Second Advance Notice of Intent to Readopt Emergency Regulations (PDF)
- Advance Notice of Intent to Readopt Emergency Regulations (PDF)
- Prohousing Designation Program PowerPoint (PDF)
- Prohousing Regulation Text (PDF)
- Wetlands Classification System (PDF) — Incorporated by reference at Section 6601(a)(9)(C) of the Prohousing Regulation Text
- Prohousing Application Resolution (PDF) — Incorporated by reference at Section 6604(c) of the Prohousing Regulation Text; Note: An editable version is also included within the application.
- Prohousing Justifications for Emergency Regulations (PDF)
- AB 101 (2019-2020)
Local governments with Prohousing Designation are eligible to apply for new Prohousing Incentive Program grant funding, a $26 million state investment from the Building Homes and Jobs Trust Fund:
Prohousing designated local governments can also receive priority processing or funding points when applying for several funding programs including:
- Affordable Housing & Sustainable Communities (AHSC)
- Infill Infrastructure Grant (IIG)
- Transformative Climate Communities (TCC)
- Solutions for Congested Corridors
- Local Partnership Program
- Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program (TIRCP)
Other programs may be added to the list after HCD engages with stakeholders and partner agencies on adding Prohousing points to other housing and non-housing programs.
As of September 20, 2023, the following jurisdictions have earned a Prohousing Designation:
- City of Citrus Heights
- City of El Cerrito
- City of Emeryville
- City of Fontana
- City of Fresno
- City of Long Beach
- City of Los Angeles
- City of Moreno Valley
- City of Needles
- City of Oakland
- County of Placer
- City of Rancho Cordova
- City of Redwood City
- City of Riverside
- City of Rohnert Park
- City of Roseville
- City of Sacramento
- County of Sacramento
- City of Salinas
- City of San Diego
- City of Santa Cruz
- City of Santa Rosa
- County of San Diego
- City of South San Francisco
- County of Sonoma
- City of Stockton
- City of Ukiah
- City of West Sacramento
- Town of Windsor
- County of Yuba
Eligible applicants are limited to local governments (cities and counties). HCD will begin taking applications over the counter following the adoption of the program’s emergency regulations on June 30, 2021. HCD will review applications within 60 days and provide feedback.
Prohousing Regulation Text (PDF) — Note: Review regulations before beginning an application.
Prohousing Application Resolution (PDF) — Note: An editable version is also included within the application.
Beginning June 30, 2021:
- Release of Prohousing regulations and application
- Begin over-the-counter reviews of Prohousing applications
- HCD will have 60 days to review and provide feedback
- Applications approved on a rolling basis
- HCD determination of Prohousing-designated jurisdictions released ongoing as applications receive approvals
Ongoing Technical Assistance will be provided for jurisdictions interested in applying. Please contact ProhousingPolicies@hcd.ca.gov to request assistance.
July 2021-June 2022:
- Upon adoption of emergency regulations, HCD will begin normal rulemaking conversion:
June 2022 and Beyond:
- Ongoing Annual Program Revisions
- Incorporate ongoing stakeholder and applicant feedback
- Implement any housing law changes
For review status of applications received, please view our Prohousing Designation Application Tracker (XLS).
As part of its review of the Prohousing Designation application, HCD must consider any written comments received from any public agency, group, or person. If an organization or individual plans to provide comments to HCD on a jurisdiction's Prohousing Designation application, early contact with the assigned review staff member is encouraged to ensure that HCD is aware of this intent. To ensure that HCD has sufficient time to consider comments in the review of the Prohousing Designation application, written comments should be provided within the first 30 days of the review. Written comments can be provided directly to the assigned HCD Analyst or emailed to ProhousingPolicies@hcd.ca.gov.
In addition to the Application Workshops below, HCD will be hosting regional technical assistance workshops at a regional, sub-regional, and county level in the future. If you are not able to attend one of these workshops, there will be additional opportunities to learn about the program and receive assistance on applying. Recordings of workshops will be made available upon workshop completion.
- (7/29/21) Prohousing Designation Program Webinar — How to Apply
- (7/29/21) Prohousing Designation Program Webinar Slides — How to Apply (PDF)