Your Rights as a Mobilehome Park Resident

Many of your rights as a mobilehome park resident are governed by the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL). The MRL, like provisions of conventional landlord-tenant law, is enforced by the courts; that is, the disputing parties must enforce the MRL against one another in a court of law.

The Department of Housing and Community Development does not have authority to enforce these Civil Code provisions. For example, a park owner must utilize an unlawful detainer procedure in a court to evict a homeowner for non-payment of rent or failure to abide by reasonable park rules. By the same token, a manufactured homeowner must bring legal action, in court, to enforce a notice or other MRL requirement, or obtain an injunction, if the management will not otherwise abide by the MRL.

In addition to applicable Civil Code sections (Division 2, Part 2, Chapter 2.5), other selected laws not part of the MRL, but related to park residency are included in the Mobilehome Residency Law Handbook published by the California Senate Select Committee on Manufactured Home Communities. This includes the Recreational Vehicle (RV) Park Occupancy Law, first enacted in 1979, governing tenancies in RV parks.

Also enclosed are relevant laws on mobilehome resale disclosure, park emergency preparedness plans, mobilehome park polling places, registration and titles, and traffic enforcement in mobilehome parks.

Rights and Obligations of Mobilehome Park Homeowners, Tenants and Management-FAQs (PDF)

Legal Aid and County Community Resources (PDF) provides local resources within your county.

California Courts Self-Help Center – Common Legal Topics provides information on landlord/tenant issues, including information about evictions, rent control, and legal service programs.

Visit LawHelpCA and the California State Bar for a list of legal aid programs, as well as other free or low-cost resources in your area.

Visit California Department of Real Estate's California Tenants to view A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities


Cities and counties often pass local ordinances, such as rent control, noise, and nuisance regulations. Please contact or visit your local city and/or county website for more information.

State / Federal Departments

California Civil Rights Department receives and investigates complaints related to housing discrimination.

California Public Utilities Commission — For billing, service, and other complaints related to a regulated utility, your first step is to contact the provider directly. If you cannot resolve the problem after talking with the utility’s customer service, you may file an informal complaint with Consumer Affairs Branch.

California Department of Consumer Affairs — File a complaint against a licensed professional or business such as a general contractor, carpenter, drywall installation, electrician, etc.

California Contractors State License Board — Find or look up a contractor license or Home Improvement Salesperson (HIS) registration or to file a complaint against a contractor or HIS.

California Department of Real Estate — Verify a real estate license or file a complaint against a real estate broker and/or salesperson.

U.S. Housing and Urban Development Department — For technical assistance on the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act. The Manufactured Housing Program protects the health and safety of the owners of manufactured (mobile) homes through the enforcement of the federal manufactured home construction and safety standards and administration of dispute resolution. — Online guide to government information and services.

Private Organizations