National Housing Trust Fund Program (NHTF)
Federal program to increase and preserve the supply of affordable housing, with an emphasis on rental housing for extremely low-income households.
NOTE: The Department's NHTF funding for federal years 2018-2021 is used for the Housing for a Healthy California (HHC) Article I Program. Please visit the Department's HHC page for more information.
Loan Closing Questions
Application, General Program, and Standard Agreements Questions
Financing available as a deferred payment loan or forgivable loan. The regulatory agreement will be for 55 years.
Eligible Activities and Applicants
New construction of permanent housing for extremely low-income households.
Individuals, joint ventures, partnership, limited partnerships, trusts, corporations, limited liability corporations, local public entities, duly constituted governing body of Indian Reservations or Rancherias or other legal entities or any combination thereof that meet program requirements.
Guideline Section 9 (d)(1)(N)(3)(B) required Site Information document
- Voluntary Acquisition Letter Retroactive Form (PDF)
- Voluntary Acquisition Letter with Eminent Domain (PDF)
- Voluntary Acquisition Letter without Eminent Domain (PDF)
Loan Closing Documents
- Multifamily Rehabilitation Standards – 2023
- Draft National Housing Trust Fund Guidelines
- State of California 2020-2024 Federal Consolidated Plan (PDF) – Consolidated Plan approved by HUD.
- California Metropolitan Organizations (MPOs) and Regional Transportation Planning Agencies (RTPAs)
- National Housing Trust Fund Regulations – eCFR :: 24 CFR Part 93 – Housing Trust Fund
- AB-816 – Bill Text - AB-816 Homelessness: Housing Trust Fund: housing projects. (ca.gov)
- 2023 CTCAC Basis-Limits-Memo (PDF)
2016-2017 NOFA (PDF) — 06/05/2018
- Appendix B — Article XXIV (PDF)
- Current NHTF Rent & Income and HOME Subsidy & Value limits (This replaces Appendices C-F)
- Appendix H — Community Needs Scores Table (PDF)
- Appendix I — National Housing Trust Fund Allocation Plan (PDF)
Rental Project Application
- Universal Rental Project Application Form (XLS)
- 2017 UMR Developer Fee Calculation Worksheet (XLS)
- 2017 UMR Supportive Services Fee Calculator (XLS)
Application Workshop Presentations