Pet Assistance and Support (PAS) Program
The intent of the PAS program is to allow homeless shelters to reduce barriers for those individuals experiencing homelessness with their pets. By making accommodations for pets, we bring individuals into shelters who otherwise would not receive services and shelter.
Subscribe: Homelessness email list to receive notifications and announcements.
Application, General Program, and Standard Agreements Questions
For program questions following Standard Agreement Execution:
Assistance Type and Terms
Pursuant to Section 19.56 (a) (1) (h)(1)(AJ) of the Budget Act of 2022 one million dollars ($1 million) has been allocated to the Pet Assistance and Support (PAS) Program.
PAS Round 2 Grantees are eligible to receive a share of the one million dollars to continue to provide shelter, food, and basic veterinary services for pets owned by individuals experiencing homelessness.
Grantees shall receive the Round 3 awards by June 30, 2024 and funds should be expended by date indicated in the Standard Agreement or no later than June 30, 2026.
Eligible uses of these funds include the provision of shelter, pet food and supplies, and basic veterinary services for pets owned by individuals experiencing homelessness, along with staffing and liability insurance related to providing those services.
Shelters must still commit to meeting the following conditions:
- Have rules of conduct and responsibility regarding pets and their owners;
- Provide shelter for pets, such as crates or kennels either near bedding areas or in separate areas or have a similar setup that ensures the safety and well-being of pets and humans;
- Provide food for the pets of individuals in homeless shelters; and
- Offer the services of a veterinarian, including, but not limited to, spaying and neutering services, vaccination, and behavioral support.
PAS Round 2 grantees are eligible to receive these additional awards to continue to provide services and reduce barriers for households experiencing homelessness with their pets.
PAS Round 2
- PAS 2022 Award List (PDF) — June 21, 2022
- PAS 2022 Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- PAS Round 2 Webinar Presentation